Thursday, June 17, 2010

All about Fathers – and lovely memories of my Dad

Father’s Day is coming up on Sunday and I was wondering what the kids and I would do for DH this year. HERE is a link to a really personal book I put together for the kids to give to DH a few years ago. It was Father’s Day and his 40th birthday – all on the same day so I wanted to create something extra special for him. DH still has it displayed in his office for all to see, so I know he loved it.

This year, I wasn’t sure what we should do for him. I’ve been watching all of the various projects that people have been making and showcasing on their blogs for the men in their life. THIS ONE really stuck out for me – so clean, neat and the perfect thing for DS and DD to make for Daddy’s office. It’s about time DH had something a bit more current showing the kids. I followed Nicole’s instructions completely, right down to having the kids write their own names – and I added their age and the year. Little DS has only mastered the first letter of his name – M – so that is what he very proudly put on there. Kind of like “X marks the spot”. DD offered to help him finish his name – but I wanted it to be truly their own work, so M it is!

Silhouettes for Daddy:
Project dimensions – 11” x 14” frame with 5” x 7” opening

Materials: CS – (Bazzill); White wooden frame with white mat (Wal-Mart), computer photo editing software, adhesive, Sharpie fine point black maker.

Here's a closer look at each one - so you can see their handy work in signing the picture!



The kids were quite intrigued by me taking photos of them from the side. They didn’t understand at first why I wanted them to not have a big cheesy smile and not look right at the camera. But they enjoyed watching we convert their photos into the silhouettes! The projects are each lovingly wrapped up – all-be-it with the same amount of tape as what would be needed to wrap up an elephant (my kids LOVE tape!) – and hidden away in the closet until the big day. They are not very good at keeping secrets – so we’ll see if we make it until Sunday!

My Dad,
It has been 18 years since I lost my Dad. He was killed in a helicopter crash at the young age of 46. I was in my mid 20’s, and was still very much “Daddy’s little girl”, so it was all a very hard thing to deal with – and really still is if I am truthful. Fortunately – there was nothing left unsaid between us. He knew I loved him very much and I knew he loved me even more – unconditionally and absolutely.
As I watch my son grow up and change with each year that passes – I can see my Dad in his face when he flashes that cheeky little smile of his that makes his eyes twinkle. And I love it.

Here is one of my favourite photos of my Dad – it is so “him”. He is in his pilot uniform with his aviator glasses on, out in a field enjoying the beauty of nature around him.

Happy Father’s Day!

No comments: