Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Turtle Tuesday!

Happy Turtle Tuesday!

I just love cards that have secret messages or images tucked underneath the card – where you have to pull them out to reveal them! I had fun making THIS ONE for DH on Valentine’s Day, so here is another little hidden turtle card!

Hidden Turtle, Happiness Always!
Card dimensions – 5 ½” w x 4 ¼” h.
Card Closed:

Card Open:

Materials: CS – white, Real Red (SU!); PP – Quilted Tuck (Provocraft); Ink – Real Red (SU!), Black (CTMH); Ribbon – green grosgrain (ribbon share – texasjodylynn); Punches – large oval (SU!), horizontal slit (SU!), Giga scalloped circle (Marvy), corner rounder (EK Success); Stamps – flower turtle (Inky Antics), Happy Harmony (SU!); large red brads (Making Memories), heart charm (Dollarama), Prismacolor pencils, Gamsol, blending stumps, paper piercer/mat (Making Memories), jump ring, mini pop dot.

What do you think of my pull-tab on the turtle piece????? Do you recognize it at all? Does it look vaguely familiar?

Well, I have been looking at the new tab punch that Stampin’ Up has in the Spring mini catalogue – but I am just not sure that I “need” to have it. Want – yes, Need – probably not. When I look at the picture of the tab punch in the catalogue – it is basically a circle, turned into a tab. So if you have a circle punch – or even better still, a Scalloped Circle punch – you too could make your own tab! Another alternative use for your Scalloped Circle punch!

Here's a close up of the tab:

To make the tab, I punched out a scalloped circle out of regular copy paper – to make a template. I then folded the scalloped circle in half. The only issue is that the scalloped circle, when folded in half, is not perfectly symmetrical with the scallops (one edge has a full scallop, the other a partial one), but all in all not that big a deal. If you use a straight circle punch you would avoid this problem. I folded it in half yet again (quarter of a circle) and cut out the tab edge shape I wanted on the one edge. Voila! – a tab template.

Here’s a picture of my template so that you can see it better:

So, if you don’t have the tab punch already – try making your own from a circle or scalloped circle punch that you already have.

Until next time, have a great day!

6 comments:

Regina D. said...

This is so cool. Thanks for sharing the idea of creating the tab. Oh yeah, the card is very cute, too!

Susan Liles (susiestampalot) said...

oh! i WILL be trying that tab idea since i don't have the real punch. you are a clever one!! i love it and i love the cute turtle card with the hidden turtle inside! cute cute cute!!

GrammaStamper (Barb) said...

These are delicious little cards. I have just found your blog and would love to put a link on mine. Would I be right in guessing you are from the Paris, ON area? I'm up in Thunder Bay, but have tons of family near Guelph. Stop by for a visit, please at www.barbscardcreations.blogspot.com

Heidi said...

That green paper is so cute! The tab idea is great! Thanks for the tip!

Dawn Mercedes said...

great tutorial...this tab is much prettier than the tab punch that SU carries! Love the scallops!

Karen (Karen Stamps! on SCS) said...

What a cool tab idea! I'm going to be getting the SU one, but in the meantime I'll try your idea. And now I'll have to get the scalloped circle too, poor me ;-)
I love your Turtle Tuesday cards!